The total performance package
It's one thing to claim a vehicle has high performance, it's another to prove it. The performance credibility of the WRX STI comes from conquering some of the planets most competitive courses. From 19 years in the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC), to laps racing on Germany's famed Nurburgring, Subaru has learnt lessons about high performance engineering in the heat of competition. These insights are applied directly to the production WRX STI, as they continually heighten its performance capabilities.
Look under the bonnet and you’re confronted with a 2.5-litre DOHC turbocharged Boxer engine with Electronic Throttle Control and Active Valve Control System that generates an awe inspiring 221kW of power. Producing 407Nm of torque at 4,000rpm in manual models and 350Nm of torque at 3,000-6,000rpm in automatic models, the WRX STI is sure to get your heart racing.
And with ultimate power comes ultimate control – thanks to Symmetrical All Wheel Drive, Vehicle Dynamics Control and a fully independent double wishbone rear suspension system that combine to deliver sharper handling, better balance and instinctive responsiveness.
The choice of a 6-speed close ratio manual or a 5-speed automatic transmission is available and together with Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-DRIVE), you have the control to tailor the driving mode to match the driving conditions.
This is a driver’s car, engineered for those who take driving seriously.
- Impreza WRX - International Engine of the Year, 2.0-2.5 - litre class.
- Impreza WRX STI spec. R - NZ AA Motoring Excellence Awards - Supreme Car of the Year.
- Impreza WRX STI spec. R - NZ AA Motoring Excellence Awards - Performance Car of the Year.
- Australasian New Car Assessment Programme (ANCAP) 5-Star Occupant Safety Rating - the highest possible. 4-Star Pedestrian Safety Rating - the highest possible.
- International Engine of the Year Award, 2.0 - 2.5-litre class, Subaru Impreza WRX
- (2.5-litre turbo-charged horizontally-opposed Boxer engine).
- International Association of Autotheft Investigators (IAATI), Outstanding Achievement
- in the Reduction of Motor Vehicle Theft in Australia, Subaru Impreza WRX.
- Australia’s Best Cars, Best Sports Car 2004 under $57,000, Subaru Impreza WRX.
- Australia’s Best Cars, Best Sports Car 2003 under $57,000, Subaru Impreza WRX.
- Australia’s Best Cars, Best Sports Car Under $56,000, Subaru Impreza WRX.
- Car of the Decade, Car Magazine UK, Subaru Impreza WRX.
- Gold Medal in Sports/Performance Car Category, Which Car, Australia, Subaru Impreza WRX.
- Best Sports Car Under $56,000, NRMA/RACV, NSW & VIC, Subaru Impreza WRX.