Subaru of New Zealand is the exclusive New Zealand importer and distributor of vehicles manufactured by Fuji Heavy Industries since 1988.
Subaru New Zealand vehicles were exclusively All-Wheel Drive (AWD) from 1997.
Our philosophy is based on high quality engineering, active and passive safety, reliability, a fun driving experience and value.
We’re proud of what makes us different and we strive to put our customers at the heart of everything we do. Subaru is Confidence in Motion.
The Subaru Journey
- 1958 – Subaru 360 is introduced, becoming an instant bestseller.
- 1966 – Subaru 1000 is introduced, highlighted by the company’s first use of a horizontally-opposed Boxer engine.
- 1973 – The first Subaru with on demand All-Wheel Drive released, combined with symmetrical drivetrain, provides exceptional control, balance and traction.
- 1977 – The two seat on demand All-Wheel Drive Subaru Brumby was launched in New Zealand long before cross-over vehicles would become mainstream.
- 1989 – The Subaru Legacy is launched to critical acclaim.
- 1993 – Champions! Subaru World Rally Team (SWRT) records its first WRC round win. Later that season, SWRT switched from the Legacy WRC to the Impreza WRX.
- 1993 – Legacy wins Rally of NZ - Drive Colin McRae, first Subaru WRC victory.
- 1996 – Outback is launched and wins World Rally Championship, Manufacturers and Drivers titles.
- 1996 - 2005 – Subaru wins 10 consecutive Australian Rally Championships to add to their six World Rally Championships.
- 1997 – Forester is launched to New Zealand and wins WRC Manufacturers title for the third consecutive year.
- 1997 – Subaru is the first car company to offer All-Wheel Drive as standard on every model sold in New Zealand.
- 2000 – Impreza including Impreza WRX wins Wheels Car of the Year – joining our other winners, the 1999 Legacy Wagon and 1995 Legacy.
- 2003 - Subaru World Rally Team wins the WRC Drivers Championship (Petter Solberg).
- 2004 - Petter Solberg wins the New Zealand World Rally Championship in his Subaru WRX.
- 2006 – Tribeca is launched in New Zealand.
- 2007 – The new generation Impreza is launched and achieves a maximum 5-star ANCAP occupant safety rating. Every new Subaru model in New Zealand has been awarded the maximum 5-star ANCAP occupant safety rating.
- 2008 – With the launch of the 2009 Legacy and Outback variants, every Subaru now has electronic stability control as a standard featureand a 5-star ANCAP occupant safety rating.
- 2009 – Introduction of the first turbo diesel horizontally-opposed Boxer engine in New Zealand.
- 2011 - XV is launched in New Zealand.
- 2012 - BRZ was launched in New Zealand.
- 2015 - Subaru of NZ achieves record sales (2267).
- 2015 - Subaru Outback surpasses all expecations, selling record numbers (1175), almost double the previous record in 2006 (591).
- 2016 - Levorg is launched in New Zealand (July).